The Bureau was established by the IUPAC Council to act on its behalf during the intervals between Council meetings, except on matters specifically excluded from its delegated authority. It consists of the IUPAC President, Vice-President, Secretary General, Treasurer, immediate Past-President, and Presidents of IUPAC Divisions, together with at least ten other members elected by the Council who are known as Elected Members. As appropriate, Council also designate Chairs of other IUPAC bodies as Members of the Bureau with full voting powers. The principal duties of the Bureau, subject always to the IUPAC Statutes and Bylaws, are as follows:
- To ensure the strict observance of Statutes and Bylaws; to prepare the agenda for meetings of the Council and in particular to make provision for elections;
- To make recommendations thereon to the Council; to attend the meetings of the Council;
- To implement the decisions of the Council and execute the program of the Union as directed by the Council;
- To take steps to ensure that International Congresses of Pure and Applied Chemistry are held;
- To take decisions about the holding of scientific meetings as proposed by the Division and Standing Committees;
- To take all other steps necessary for the good conduct of the affairs of the Union.
The Bureau may neither elect IUPAC Officers nor admit nor remove IUPAC Members, but it may fill vacancies among the Officers pending the next regular meeting of the Council, when the Council shall fill such vacancies. The Bureau may fill casual vacancies in accordance with Statute 4.2.
The Bureau appoints an Executive Committee to act on its behalf for the orderly discharge of IUPAC functions between Bureau meetings.
104 Bureau, Virtual 2020 – 104 Bureau Minutes Virtual 2020
101 Bureau, Bratislava 2018 – 101 Bureau Minutes Bratislava 2018
100 Bureau, Sao Paulo 2017 – 100 Bureau Minutes SaoPaulo 2017
99 Bureau, Virtual 2017 – 99 Bureau Minutes Virtual 2017
98 Bureau, Montreal 2016 – 98 Bureau Minutes Montreal 2016
97 Bureau, Busan 2015 – 97 Bureau Minutes Busan 2015
96 Bureau, Virtual 2015 – 96 Bureau Minutes Virtual 2015
95 Bureau , Coimbra 2014 – 95 Bureau Minutes Coimbra 2014
94 Bureau, Istanbul 2013 – 94 Bureau Minutes Istanbul 2013
93 Bureau, Frankfurt 2013 – 93 Bureau Minutes Frankfurt 2013