The IUPAC Company Associates (CA) program has been an important link between IUPAC and the chemistry-based industries for many decades. IUPAC provides an essential platform for the chemical industry and for chemists and related professionals from industry through networking, global recognition, and participation in IUPAC projects that span the field of chemistry. Company Associates participate actively by supporting IUPAC’s roles as the provider of the common language for chemistry, standards that facilitate chemical commerce, capacity building in the developing world, and conferences and projects that advance the chemistry enterprise.
As IUPAC approaches its second century it is focusing on new strategic programs such as Green Chemistry for Sustainable Development, Informatics and Machine Learning. We recognize the importance of these areas to industry and the contributions industry can make if more effectively engaged. In this context IUPAC has carried out a review of the CA program and has developed a proposal to revitalize the program to make it more relevant to companies and to the individual chemists and engineers who work for them.
The Executive Committee and Bureau were consulted and provided input, and the Bureau approved the proposed changes in April 2017. The CA Program was approved at the 49th Council meeting in São Paulo, Brazil in July 2017. The CA program for 2018, including current Company Associates and new CAs, was described in this letter.
The aspects of the program were phased in during the 2018-2019 biennium. The administration of the program, as in past years, allows NAO’s to choose to administer the program in their country or to have the IUPAC Secretariat manage their Company Associates. You may contact the Executive Director (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information or questions.
The key aspects of the CA program are as follows:
1. Employees of Company Associates will be eligible to be nominated as candidates for Associate Member positions in Division elections and for appointment to Standing Committees, irrespective of country of residence.
2. Employees of Company Associates will be eligible to be nominated as candidates for both Titular and Associate member positions in COCI irrespective of the country of residence.
3. CAs and their employees can continue to participate in IUPAC projects, including development of project proposals, service as members of project task groups, and leadership of IUPAC projects.
4. CAs will receive discounts on IUPAC publications. The 25% discount for subscriptions to Pure and Applied Chemistry has been re-instated for CAs. CAs will have the option to receive PAC in either digital or print versions or both.
5. Companies will receive a 10% discount on registration fees for IUPAC endorsed conferences and symposia. Two persons per CA per conference or workshop are eligible.
6. Company Associates will receive complimentary access to the digital version of Chemistry International (CI).
Company Associates are eligible to receive a 25% discount on IUPAC’s Pure and Applied Chemistry Journal. The Pricing through our Publisher, DeGruyter along with the discounted price is given below:
Pure and Applied Chemistry Journal Discount for CAs 2021
|Institutional Price||PAC Print||PAC Online||PAC Print + Online|
|Cost to CA||$1,812.25||$1,812.25||$2,086.00|
|effective 1 January 2020|
The subscriptions for existing CA’s were phased in over four years to the $2,500 target. Existing CA’s are those companies that were part of the program in 2017. New CA’s in 2021 will be charged $2,500. For NAOs who coordinate their national CA program, the amount owed to IUPAC per CA is $1,500. NAOs that choose to administer their national CA program will continue to be able to set their own subscriptions equal to or above $2,500 for members.
The management of the Company Associate program varies from country to country-some have a coordinator to manage the program and others join directly through IUPAC. We are currently gathering our NAO CA Coordinators for 2021 and will post their contact information in February 2021. The NAO’s coordinating the IUPAC Company Associate program thus far for 2021 are: Canada, China/Beijing, Denmark, Germany, Japan, Switzerland, Belgium, Korea, United Kingdom and the United States.
For interested companies who want to join the CA program directly through IUPAC, you may Join the CA program through the link below:
2021 Company Associates Price: $2,500
As of 01 May 2020, IUPAC had 31 Current Company Associates.
|Belgium (2) |
European Petrochemical Association
Hanwha Total Petrochemical Co., Ltd.
|Canada (1) |
H.L. Blachford, Ltd.
Evonik Industries AG
Clariant Produkte (Deutschland) GmbH
Zhejiang NHU Company, Ltd.
China Petrochemical Technology Company, Ltd.
Gedeon Richter, Ltd
Société Africaine de Raffinage
|Japan (16) |
Ajinomoto, Co., Inc.
Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Daikin Industries, Ltd.
Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Corporation
Mitsui Chemicals, Inc.
Showa Denko K. K.
Sumitomo Chemical Co., Ltd.
Takasago International Corp.
Toray Industries, Inc.
Toray Research Center, Inc.
Novartis International AG
|United Kingdom (1)|
Exponent International, Ltd.
|United States (2)
Bayer U.S. LLC
Dow Chemical Company