The goal of this Top Ten Emerging Technologies in Chemistry project is to showcase the value of Chemistry and to inform the general public as to how the chemical sciences contribute to the well-being of society and the sustainability of Planet Earth. Since 2019, the Jury selects emerging technologies on the basis of those in between a new scientific discovery and a fully-commercialized technology, and those with the greatest capacity to open new opportunities in chemistry and beyond.
The 2021 finalists will be announced in October – watch this space!!
The next search for the 2022 Top Ten Emerging Technologies in Chemistry has already begun – make a nomination here by 31 March 2022.
The 2020 finalists are (in alphabetical order):
- Aggregation-induced emission
- Artificial intelligence applied to chemistry
- Dual-ion batteries
- High-pressure inorganic chemistry
- Liquid gating technology
- Macromonomers for better plastic recycling
- Microbiome and bioactive compounds
- Rapid diagnostics for testing
- RNA vaccines
This initiative started in 2019 in recognition of IUPAC’s Centenary. Its end goal is to showcase the value of Chemistry (and chemists!) and to inform the general public as to how the chemical sciences contribute to the well-being of Society and the sustainability of Planet Earth. The 2020 call for proposals has been released mid June 2019 (see details). The Top Ten Emerging Technologies in Chemistry will be selected and published each year.
The next search for the 2021 Top Ten Emerging Technologies in Chemistry has already begun – make a nomination here by 31 March 2021. See details call.
The results of the first search for the Top Ten Emerging Technologies in Chemistry were announced on 1 April 2019. See release and background.
- Enantio-Selective Organocatalysis
- Solid-State Batteries
- Flow Chemistry
- Reactive Extrusion
- Metal Organic Frameworks (MFOs)
- Directed Evolution of Selective Enzymes
- Turning Plastics to Monomers
- Reversible Deactivation of Radical Polymerization