Analytical chemistry is a scientific discipline that develops and applies methods, instruments, and strategies to obtain information on the composition and nature of matter in space and time, as well as on the value of these measurements, i.e., their uncertainty, validation, and/or traceability to fundamental standards.
The Analytical Chemistry Division in the IUPAC catalyzes interactions between the scientific community and users of analytical methodology and data, and beneficiaries of analytical results, such as international organizations (IAEA, OECD, WHO), standard development bodies (ISO, ASTM), metrology organizations (BIPM, OIML) chemical societies, and society.
The interactions are catalyzed by taking input, such as literature data, information about sources, inconsistent nomenclature, newly developed or modified methods and techniques, and scientific misinformation, and performing harmonization of nomenclature, critical evaluation of data and methodology, formulation of guidelines for correct usage of data and methodology, and promotion of analytical chemistry to society in general. Areas of interest include: General aspects of analytical chemistry, separation methods, spectrochemical methods, electrochemical methods, nuclear chemistry methods, applications to human health and the environment.
Areas of Interest
General aspects of analytical chemistry, separation methods, spectrochemical methods, electrochemical methods, nuclear chemistry methods, applications to human health and the environment.
Terms of Reference
The goal of the Analytical Chemistry Division is the promotion of the principal branches of analytical chemistry. In many instances this is achieved in collaboration with other Divisions.
This includes the critical and comparative evaluation of established and emerging analytical methods, to enable analytical chemists to choose those best suited for specific applications.
These activities include:
- harmonisation and proposal of rules for interlaboratory comparisons,
- recommendations for sample collection, preparation, storage and handling,
- the compilation of data used in analytical chemistry and their critical evaluation,
- the definition of recommended methods and proper application of QC and QA procedures.
The Division encourages interactions between the basic and applied disciplines. Its work is currently focused on analytical methods and their applications, as follows:
1. General aspects of analytical chemistry. This includes all matters relating to terminology in analytical chemistry, chemometrics, figures of merit, quality assurance, and fundamental data including those for solubility and chemical equilibria.
2. Separation methods. This includes the development of critical guidelines, definition of terms, and recommendations for the operation of analytical separation methods.
3. Spectrochemical methods. This includes the critical assessment of spectrochemical methods of analysis involving electromagnetic radiation and compilation of fundamental data.
4. Mass spectrometric methods for elemental and molecular analysis.
5. Electrochemical methods. This includes the critical assessment of electroanalytical methods. Recommendations for standardisation and measurement procedures, development of critical guidelines, compilation of essential data and assessment of terminology are considered.
6. Nuclear chemistry methods. This includes analytical methods based on the measurement of isotopes and isotope ratios, and radiochemical methods and their applications.
7. Chemical metrology for better understanding fundamental aspects of chemical measurements, calibration, concepts of measurement traceability and comparability.
8. Bioanalytical methods. This covers the identification, characterization, quantification, and monitoring of biomolecules together with the analysis and investigation of biomacromolecules within nucleic acids analysis, proteomics, metabolomics, glycomics, lipidomics, and others.
Subcommittees and Commissions
- 2021-016-1-024 - Standardized reporting of gas adsorption isotherms
- 2021-023-1-500 - Solubility of Benzoic Acid and Substituted Benzoic Acids in Both Neat Organic Solvents and Organic Solvent Mixtures (Supplement to Solubility Data Series Volume 99)
- 2021-015-2-500 - Greenness of official standard sample preparation methods
- 2021-017-2-500 - Harmonization of approaches to interlaboratory comparison of qualitative and related property values of a substance or material
- 2021-018-1-500 - Gold Book Update of Terms for Analytical Chemistry
- 2021-009-2-500 - Recommendations for terms relating to materials characterization: Latin and other introduced terms
- 2021-011-1-500 - Gold Book update of terms from the Glossary of Terms Related to Solubility
- 2021-007-1-500 - Solubility of Crystalline Alkanoic Acids, Alkenoic Acids, Alkanedioic Acids and Alkenedioic Acids Dissolved in Neat Organic Solvents, Organic Solvent Mixtures, and Aqueous-Organic Solvent Mixtures
- 2020-025-2-500 - Solubility of CO2 in glycols and glycol ethers
- 2020-016-3-020 - The Gender Gap in Chemistry – Building on the ISC Gender Gap Project
- 2020-018-1-024 - Development of a metadata schema for critically evaluated solubility measurement data
- 2020-013-1-200 - Assessment of absolute isotope ratios for the international isotope delta measurement standards
- 2019-031-1-024 - Development of a Standard for FAIR Data Management of Spectroscopic Data
- 2019-039-3-500 - A review of current status of analytical chemistry education
- 2019-032-1-024 - Development of an IUPAC Recommended Term Management System for Expansion of the Coverage of the IUPAC Compendium on Chemical Terminology
- 2019-026-2-600 - The Environment, Health and Food Safety Impact of Microplastics
- 2019-029-1-600 - Per and polyfluroalkyl substances (PFASs) in the environment: Information for emerging economies on PFASs analyses in environmental media and their impacts on human health
- 2019-028-1-500 - Critical Evaluation of Metal-Sulfate Equilibrium Data
- 2019-012-1-500 - Influence of a mass balance constraint on uncertainty of test results of a substance or material and risks in its conformity assessment
- 2018-025-1-500 - Critical evaluation of homogeneous equilibrium and solubility constants of gadolinium in environmental and biological-relevant conditions
- 2018-009-2-500 - Guidance for the Compilation, Critical Evaluation and Dissemination of Chemical Data
- 2017-022-1-500 - Mutual Solubility Halogenated Aliphatic Hydrocarbons C1-C14 with Water
- 2017-025-1-500 - Solubility in Systems with Potassium Nitrate (Part 3 of Volume 89 of the Solubility Data Series)
- 2018-010-2-500 - Microwave Induced Combustion (Critical Evaluation and New Applications)
- 2017-005-3-500 - Analytical chemistry of nanomaterials -- critical evaluation
- 2017-017-2-200 - Evaluated Published Isotope Ratio Data (2013-2018)
- 2015-020-2-500 - Critical compilation of acid pKa values in polar aprotic solvents
- 2015-044-2-500 - Critical evaluation of data on solubility and liquid-liquid equilibria in binary mixtures of 1-alkyl-3-methylimidazolium based ionic liquid and molecular solvent
- 2016-003-1-500 - Critical evaluation of equilibrium constants of 4f-metal mixed complexes with acidic chelate and organophosphorus O-donor ligands
- 2016-005-1-500 - Calcium sulfate in water
- 2015-024-2-500 - Metrology and Measurement Uncertainty Brochure
- 2015-008-2-500 - Critical Evaluation and Vocabulary of Chemo-sensing and Determination Methods for Explosive Residues On-Site and in the Field
- 2014-026-3-600 - Chemical Speciation of Anthropogenic Nanoparticles
- 2014-016-2-200 - Compilation of the variation of the isotopic composition of the elements via crowdsourcing
- 2013-025-2-500 - Methods for the SI Value Assignment of the Purity of Organic Compounds for use as Primary Reference Materials and Calibrators
- 2012-036-2-200 - Recommendations for Isotope Data in the Geosciences-II
- 2013-015-1-500 - Methods to evaluate the scavenging activity of antioxidants toward reactive oxygen and nitrogen species (ROS/RNS)
- 2013-034-1-500 - Mutual Solubility of Rare Earth Metal (Sc, Y, Lanthanides) Bromides in Molten Alkali Bromides
- 2013-040-1-300 - Measurement of Photoluminescence Quantum Yields
- 2013-013-1-500 - pH Measurement in Seawater
- 2012-004-1-500 - Solubility of lead carbonates
- 2012-006-1-500 - The Solubility of Beryllium Sulfate and Other Beryllium Compounds in Aqueous and Non-aqueous Media
- 2012-005-1-500 - Vocabulary of Concepts and Terms in Analytical Chemistry - the revised Orange Book (4th edition)
- 2009-010-3-500 - Harmonized Protocol for the Proficiency Testing of sampling of environmental matrices
- 2009-006-1-500 - Experimental Requirements for Single-Laboratory Validation
- Minutes of the Division Committee meeting, Nara, Japan, 25-26 Apr 2018 (pdf – 138kb)
- Minutes of the Division Committee meeting, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 8-9 Jul 2017 (pdf – 270kb)
- Minutes of the Division Committee meeting, Bratislava, Slovakia, 2016
- Minutes of the Division Committee meeting, Busan, Korea, 8-9 Aug 2015 (pdf – 615kb)
- Minutes of the Division Committee meeting, Pecs, Hungary, 27-28 Mar 2014 (pdf – 519kb)
- Minutes of the Division Committee meeting, Istanbul, Turkey, 9-10 Aug 2013 (pdf – 155kb)
- Minutes of the Division Committee meeting, Antwerp, Belgium, 5-7 Feb 2012 (pdf – 214kb)
- Minutes of the Division Committee meeting, Aveiro, Portugal, 8-9 Feb 2010 (pdf – 212kb) and Annexes (zip file – 2.81mb)
- Minutes of the Division V Executive Officers’ Meeting, Aveiro, Portugal, 7 Feb 2010 (pdf – 212kb)
- Report 2020 (prepared for Bureau) by Prof. Zoltán Mester (pdf – 375kb)
- Report 2017 (prepared for Bureau) by Prof. Jan Labuda (pdf – 73kb)
- Report 2016 (prepared for Bureau in Montreal) by Prof. Jan Labuda (pdf – 136kb)
- Report 2014-2015 (prepared for Council in Busan) by Prof. Brynn Hibbert (pdf – 613kb)
- Report to Council 2008 – 2009 (pdf – 158kb)
‘TEAMWORK’ the Analytical Chemistry Division Newsletter
- Teamwork 2018 (pdf – 116kb)
- Teamwork 2017 (pdf – 710kb)
- Teamwork 2015 (pdf – 897kb)
- Teamwork 2013 (pdf – 613kb)
- Teamwork 2012 (pdf – 253kb)
- Teamwork 2009 (pdf – 110kb)
- Teamwork 2008 (pdf – 93kb)
- Teamwork 2007 (pdf – 60kb)
- Teamwork 2006 (pdf – 49kb)
- Teamwork 2005 Dec (pdf – 49kb)
- Teamwork 2005 Jul (pdf – 53kb)
- Teamwork 2004 Nov (pdf – 47kb)
- Teamwork 2004 Jul (pdf – 51kb)
- Teamwork 2004 Feb (pdf – 62kb)
- Teamwork 2003 Nov (pdf – 77kb)
- Teamwork 2003 Jul (pdf – 413kb)
- Teamwork 2003 Feb (pdf – 65kb)
- Teamwork 2002 Oct (pdf – 63kb)
- Teamwork 2002 Jul (pdf – 52kb)
- Teamwork 2002 March (pdf – 41kb)
Moore, D., “Analytical Chemistry – A Discipline at the Heart of IUPAC,” Chemistry International, Vol. 24, No. 4, p. 17, July 2002. (PDF)