The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry and Solvay announce the winners of the 2023 IUPAC-Solvay International Award for Young Chemists, presented for the best Ph.D. theses in the chemical sciences, as described in 1000-word essays.
The five winners are:
- Dr. Eduard Bobylev (Ukraine, Netherlands), Ph.D., University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Dr. Craig Day (Canada, Spain), Ph.D., Rovira i Virgili University, Spain
[@TheCraigDay | ORCID | LinkedIn]
- Dr. Nikita Hanikel (Germany, USA), Ph.D., University of California Berkeley, USA
- Dr. Apurva Panjla (India), Ph.D., Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India
[@Apurva19966342 | LinkedIn]
- Dr. Yu Zheng (China/Beijing/USA) Ph.D., Stanford University, USA
The winners will each receive a cash prize of USD 1000 and travel expenses to the 49th IUPAC World Chemistry Congress, 20-25 August 2023, in The Hague, The Netherlands. Each winner will also be invited to present a poster at the IUPAC Congress describing his/her award-winning work and to submit a short critical review on aspects of his/her research topic, to be published in Pure and Applied Chemistry. The awards will be presented to the winners of the 2022 and 2023 competitions during the Opening Ceremony of the Congress.
The titles of the winners’ theses are:
- Dr. Eduard Bobylev: “Spherical coordination-based MnL2n assemblies: construction, confinement, catalysis and bio application”
- Dr. Craig Day: “Understanding Nickel Catalysis at the Molecular Level: Insights into C-O Functionalization and Electron Transfer Events”
- Dr. Nikita Hanikel : “Atmospheric Water Harvesting with Metal–Organic Organic Frameworks”
- Dr. Apurva Panjla: “Therapeutic Potential of Short Peptide Conjugates as Novel Antibiotics and Osteoinductive Agents”
- Dr. Yu Zheng: “Molecular design of polymer semiconductors for skin-inspired electronics”
There were 58 applications from individuals receiving their Ph.D. degrees from institutions in 21 countries. The award selection committee, chaired by Professor Christopher Brett, IUPAC Past President, comprised members of the IUPAC Bureau and a senior science advisor from Solvay, all of whom have a wide range of experience in chemistry.
In view of the many high-quality applications, the Committee also decided to award four Honorable Mentions to:
- Dr. Yuanxin Deng (China/Beijing/Netherlands), Ph.D., University of Groningen, Netherlands
- Dr. Karthick Govindan (India, China/Taipei), Ph.D., Kaohsiung Medical University, China/Taipei
- Dr. Renyu Guo (China/Beijing, USA), Ph.D., Indiana University Bloomington, USA
- Dr. Aron Peter (Hungary, UK), Ph.D., University of Manchester, UK
The call for applications for the 2024 IUPAC-Solvay International Award for Young Chemists will open soon. Eligible candidates must have received a Ph.D. or equivalent degree in any of the countries that have National Adhering Organizations in IUPAC during the year 2023.
Announcement will be published in Chem Int July 2023