- Schooling in Cornwall, Sussex and London: State Scholarship, 1951
- B Sc Honours Chemistry (1st) (1954) Queen Mary, University of London
- PhD (1957) Chemical Model of Steroid Biosynthesis, London
1957-62 Chemist (cancer chemotherapy), Chester Beatty Research, London 1962-65 Biochemist (folate antimetabolites), Marie Curie Foundation, Caterham 1965-72 Lecturer and Senior Lecturer (Clinical Chemistry), University of Edinburgh 1972-83 Deputy Head (Clinical Chemistry Research), Medical Research Council, Harrow 1983-93 Director, Regional Laboratory for Toxicology and Trace Metals, Birmingham, (and sometime Chairman, Committee of Directors of Supraregional Assay Services)
Many publications in journals and reviews of chemistry, clinical chemistry, medicine, and toxicology.
- IUPAC: 1972 Nominated as a member of the newly founded Commission on Toxicology of the Section on Clinical Chemistry by its Chair, F. William Sunderman, Jr.
- 1970-99 Contributed to projects around trace metals at the interface of analytical chemistry and clinical toxicology. Helped to organize a series of IUPAC-sponsored conferences on the clinical chemistry and chemical toxicology of metals, highlighting the state of the art and identifying problems that were a priority for further research. Became Secretary of the Commission (and later, Chairman). Edited the proceedings of the IUPAC sponsored conferences. In organizing the conferences, facilitated the involvement of scientists and physicians who were not primarily chemists, but who welcomed involvement with IUPAC projects.
- 1979 The value of the Commission’s work, and that of the other Commissions of the Section on Clinical Chemistry, was recognised in 1979 by the upgrading of the Section to Division (VII) status. Became Secretary of the Division.
- 1985-89 Became president and ex officio member of the IUPAC Bureau for the two biennia. Contributed to projects of two of the Division’s Commissions: with Teaching, in the preparation of a IUPAC-IPCS/WHO monograph on Chemical Safety (1992); and with Quantities and Units in compiling the 1st Edition of the IUPAC Silver Book (Compendium of Terminology in Clinical Laboratory Sciences, 1995).
- 1993 Provided chemical input to the 2nd edition of the International Vocabulary of Terms in Metrology (VIM).
- 1991-95 Assisted the IUPAC Treasurer as Internal Auditor at the Oxford Secretariat, and subsequently collated data from the files of the Secretariat, prior to its move to Research Triangle Park, to produce a Supplement (1988-99) to Roger Fennell’s History of IUPAC (1919-89).