CODATA announces the launch of a major new project: ‘WorldFAIR: Global cooperation on FAIR data policy and practice’, funded by the European Commission through its Horizon Europe Framework Programme.
Coordinated by CODATA, with the Research Data Alliance association as a major partner, the WorldFAIR project will work with a set of case studies to advance implementation of the FAIR data principles, in particular those for Interoperability, and to develop a set of recommendations and a framework for FAIR assessment in a set of disciplines, or cross-disciplinary research areas. The project will explore features of an emerging Cross-Domain Interoperability Framework with 11 case studies from the physical, social, agricultural and environmental sciences and the cultural heritage sector, and prepare FAIR Implementation Profiles, appropriately adapted to each (cross-)discipline area. This will lead to, and help inform, a fuller mapping of current best practices and emerging solutions and initiatives for FAIR data in these domains.
One of case studies covers chemistry and that project is led by IUPAC/CPCDS – see project 2022-012-1-024
WorldFAIR will run for 24 months from 1 June 2022. The project is a collaboration between 19 partners around the world including prominent research institutions and scholarly organisations from Africa, Australasia, Europe, and North and South America. This work will form the core of CODATA’s contribution to the International Science Council (ISC) Action Plan Project 2.1, Making Data Work For Cross-Domain Grand Challenges.
See more details on https://codata.org/initiatives/decadal-programme2/worldfair/ including WorldFAIR partners and their planned activities at the sessions at SciDataCon/International Data Week in June 2022:
- WorldFAIR – Global cooperation on FAIR data policy and practice – General Introduction, 20 June, 2:30 – 4:00 UTC
- Unique identifiers to complement metadata for the identification and grouping of complex nanomaterials – Nanomaterials Case Study, 21 June, 7:00 – 8:30 UTC
- Mapping the Global Landscape of Geochemistry Initiatives and Databases – Geochemistry Case Study, 22 June, 7:00 – 8:30 UTC
- Challenges for Plant-Pollinator Data Standardization – Agricultural Biodiversity Case Study, 22 June, 7:00 – 8:30 UTC
- Envisioning a Cross-Domain Interoperability Framework – Current thinking about the CDIF, 23 June, 2:30 – 4:00 UTC