In celebration of IUPAC 100th anniversary of IUPAC and of the 2019 International Year of the Periodic Table, IUPAC and International Younger Chemists Network (IYCN) are creating a Periodic Table of Younger Chemists. Beginning in July 2018 and ending in July 2019, a diverse group of 118 outstanding younger chemists from around the world will be honored. The resulting periodic table will highlight the diversity of careers, creativity, and dedication of the young chemists leading this community into the next century. Each ‘Young Chemist Element’ is profiled on the IUPAC100 website.
Elements are revealed over time in order of scientific discovery. They will be announced monthly at various chemistry events, many being IUPAC endorsed conferences. Approximately eight elements will be revealed each month beginning in July 2018 with the final elements being revealed at the IUPAC World Chemistry Congress in Paris, France in July 2019.
The first 16 elements are:
Revealed 1 July 2018 at MACRO18 in Cairns, Australia
• Cu, Kelly L. Summers, Ph.D. Candidate, University of Saskatchewan, Canada
• Pb, Torsten John, Ph.D. Candidate, Leipzig University, Germany
• Au, Julian G. West, Postdoctoral Fellow, California Institute of Technology, United States, and
• Ag, Matthew G. Cowan, Lecturer and Researcher, University of Canterbury, New Zealand
Revealed 10 July 2018 at the 25th International Conference on Chemistry Education (ICCE) in Sydney, Australia
• Fe, Elizabeth New, Associate Professor, University of Sydney, Australia
• C, Jose Miguel González-Domínguez, Research Chemist, Spanish National Research Council, Spain
• Sn, Emmanuel Chukwudalu Ohaekenyem, Lecturer, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Nigeria, and
• S, Xuefeng Jiang, Professor, East China Normal University, China
Revealed 4 Aug 2018 at the 43rd International Conference on Coordination Chemistry (ICCC) in Sendai, Japan
• Hg, Zhuang Liu, Professor, Soochow University, China
• Zn, Ernest Awoonor-Williams, Graduate Student, Memorial University, Canada
• As, Jorge Alegre-Cebollada, Professor, Complutense University of Madrid, Spain, and
• Sb, Maria Spasova, Associate Professor, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Bulgaria
Revealed 19 August 2018 at the American Chemical Society meeting in Boston, MA, USA
• P, Hwan-Ching Tai, Associate Professor, National Taiwan University
• Co, Sadhane Marhura, Lecturer and Academic Co- ordinator, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa
• Pt, Andrea Strakova Fedorhova, University in Kosice, Slovakia, and
• Ni, Lori Ferrins, Research Assistant Professor, Northeastern University, Boston, MA, USA
The reveal will continue with the following presentations and more to be later announced:
9 September—Bi, Mg, H, and O at the 8th IUPAC International Conference on Green Chemistry (ICGC) in Bangkok, Thailand
16 September—N, Ba, Cl, and Mn at the XXII International Conference on Organic Synthesis, in Florence, Italy
4 October—Mo, W, Te, and Sr at the 2nd Symposium on Organic and Inorganic Chemistry, Southern Africa, in Gaborone, Botswana
9 October—Zr, U, Ti, and Y at the 33rd Congreso Latinoamericano de Química (33-CLAQ), in Cuba
Nominations are on-going and now being accepted. A monthly deadline for specific elements is outlined on the website, along with detailed criteria and access to the submission form.
Are there young chemists who inspire you? Nominate them now!