Anna Regoutz was born in Klagenfurt, Austria and studied Technical Chemistry at the Graz University of Technology, Austria. She completed a DPhil in Inorganic Chemistry at the University of Oxford, UK, working on structural and electronic properties of metal oxides. Anna is currently a Research Fellow at Imperial College, UK, and a Visiting Scientist at Diamond Light Source, UK.

Anna is pushing advanced spectroscopic techniques beyond the available, traditional approaches in order to enable the emergence of new, disruptive technologies in the fields of electronic devices and energy materials. Her research focuses on bulk, thin film, and nano materials for application in devices including power electronics, photovoltaics, and biosensors. She works on using and developing both laboratory- and synchrotron-based X-ray spectroscopy methods to study local chemical environments and electronic structure of bulk materials and at surfaces and interfaces. Anna uses her combined expertise in deposition and characterisation of these materials to understand and tune the materials’ electronic and optical characteristics to ultimately improve existing device concepts and develop novel device applications. She actively shares her research outcomes, having published over 50 peer-reviewed articles, and has established direct links and collaborations with industrial partners.

In parallel to her research efforts, Anna is passionate about teaching and inspiring the next generation of scientists. She has been a scientific mentor on many outreach programs, actively encourages and hosts undergraduate research students in her group, and her undergraduate lectures at Imperial were awarded a Student Academic Choice Award for Best Teaching for Undergraduates in 2018. She serves as an Associate Editor for Frontiers for Young Minds, an open-access scientific journal written by scientists and reviewed by children