- BS (1953) from Wayne State University, Detroit, USA
- PhD (1958) in Organic Chemistry from Wayne State University, Detroit, USA
1958 Lederle Labs. where he rose to Group Leader in antibiotic discovery.
1967 Assistant Professor of Ohio Sate University rising quickly to full Professor.
1975 Appointed Distinguished Professor and Chair of the Department of Medicinal Chemistry at Kansas University.
1992 Returned to the Faculty at Kansas U and is still there. Also has conjoint appointments at the University of Missouri-Kansas City and the Victorian College of Pharmacy, Melbourne, Australia.
Author and co-author of some 270 publications.
1989 ACS Smissman Award in Medicinal Chemistry
Volwiler Award from the American Association for Pharmaceutical Education
Research Achievement Award from the American Pharmaceutical Association
2000 ACS Medicinal Chemistry Division Award in Medicinal Chemistry Higuchi-Simons Award from Kansas University
2007 The Norman Farnsworth Research Achievement Award from the American Society for Pharmacognosy
2007 Inducted into the ACS Division of Medicinal Chemistry Hall of Fame
- 1991-1995 Titular Member of the Medicinal Chemistry Section.
- Continued on Working Parties on Terminology in Medicinal Chemistry, on a Medicinal Chemistry Curriculum, and Guidelines for Natural Product Collaboration (as Chair) at least up to 1999.
- Played a very active role and has continued to be very supportive by reviewing many of our project documents.