- MD (1974) University of Copenhagen
- DMSc (1979) University of Copenhagen
1978-80: Fulbright Senior Scholar, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York
1980-82: Chief, Department of Occupational Medicine, Danish National Institute of Occupational Health
1982: Professor of Environmental Medicine, University of Southern Denmark
1983: Consultant in Toxicology, Danish National Board of Health
1994-2002: Adjunct Professor of Environmental Health and Neurology, Boston University
2003: Adjunct Professor of Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health
- Member of the editorial board of 10 scientific journals.
- Founding Editor, Environmental Health (2002).
- Fellow, Collegium Ramazzini, 1987 (Council member, 2005-).
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 1994.
- University of Southern Denmark: Chairman, Institute of Community Health (1982-1985; 1996-1999); Vice-Dean (1991-1993).
- Danish Medical Research Council: Member (1992-1998); Chair, Committee on Research at the Faroe Islands (1996-1997) and Research Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation (2004-).
- International Agency for Research on Cancer: Chairman of Task Group, Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans, Vol. 58 (1993).
- IUPAC: Chair, Commission on Toxicology (1987-1991).
- World Health Organization: Temporary Adviser or Consultant, five times elected Rapporteur. Member, European Food Safety Authority, Panel on Contaminants (2003-2009).