Prof. Nicola Senesi has been awarded the status of Emeritus Fellow in Division VI. This 2022 appointment reflects his standing as a scientist and continuing service to our division and to the Union.
Prof. Nicola Senesi is Professor Emeritus of the University of Bari (Italy), where he has served for about 50 years as Professor of General and Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Soil Chemistry. During his long career, he has made outstanding contributions and achievements in soil science research, mainly focusing on the instrumental role of soil systems for both agricultural production and environmental protection. He has successfully applied several novel and advanced chemical, physico-chemical and biochemical methods, spectroscopic techniques and a fractal geometry approach to investigate the molecular structures and chemical functionalities of soil organic matter, especially humic fractions isolated from a wide variety of soils, organic amendments and waters. He used the same approaches to study from a novel perspective the interactions of pesticides with and the complexation of micronutrient/micropollutant trace metals to humic substances.
His wide research activity is testified by an impressive scientific publication record and citations, ranking in the top 1% of scientists in the Stanford University World Ranking of Scientists.
Prof. Senesi was also a visionary educator and served in multiple roles in national and international scientific societies, in particular as former President of the International Humic Substances Society (IHSS), the European Confederation of Soil Science Societies (ECSSS), the Mediterranean Scientific Association for Environmental Protection (MESAEP) and the Italian Society of Soil Science (SISS) and former Chairman of Commission II, Soil Chemistry, and Division II, Soil Properties and Processes of the International Union of Soil Science (IUSS), and in the organization of several international and national conferences and symposia. Prof. Senesi was conferred a Doctorate Honoris Causa from the Polytechnic of Toulouse, France, and has very recently been conferred the prestigious Dokuchaev Award of IUSS. He is also Honorary Member of IUSS, IHSS, SISS, the Polish Soil Science Soc. (PSSS) and the Azerbaijan Soil Sci. Soc. (AzSSS).
Nicola Senesi has been involved with IUPAC for more than 20 years: 4 years (1994-1997) as Titular Member of the Commission on Environmental Chemistry of the Analytical Division, and then 16 years (since its foundation) as TM and AM of the Division of Chemistry and the Environment.
He has hold the role of Division VI President from 2008 to 2011 and has been Chair of the Subcommittee on “Chemical and Biophysical Processes in the Environment” from 1998 to 2013. He has been also Associate Member of the Committee on Chemistry Education (2002-2005), Associate Member of the Subcommittee on Green Chemistry of the Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry Division (2004-2005), IUPAC Representative in the Mediterranean Scientific Association of Environmental Protection (MESAEP) (2004-2007), and Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of Pure and Applied Chemistry (2008-2011).
Prof. Nicola Senesi is Co-Editor of a number of IUPAC Series books, including:
IUPAC Book Series on “Analytical and Physical Chemistry of Environmental Systems” (J. Buffle and H.P. Van Leeuwen, Series Eds) produced by Wiley:
– Volume 4, 1998, “Structure and Surface Reactions of Soil Particles” (P.M. Huang, N. Senesi and J. Buffle, eds)
– Volume 8, 2002, “Interactions between Soil Particles and Microorganims” (P.M. Huang, J.-M. Bollag, N. Senesi, eds)
– Volume 11, 2008, ” Biophysical Chemistry of Fractal Structures and Processes in Environmental Systems ” (N. Senesi and K.J. Wilkinson, eds)
IUPAC-WILEY Book Series “Biophysico-Chemical Processes in Environmental Systems” (P.M. Huang and N. Senesi, Series Eds, 2006-2014, N. Senesi and B. Xing, Eds, 2015-present):
– Volume 2, 2009, “Biophysico-Chemical Processes Involving Natural Non-Living Organic Matter in Environmental Systems” (N. Senesi, P.M. Huang and B. Xing, eds)
– Volume 3, 2011, “Biophysico-Chemical Processes of Anthropogenic Organic Compounds in Environmental Systems” (B. Xing, N. Senesi, P. M. Huang, eds.)
– Volume 4, 2016, “Engineered Nanoparticles and the Environment: Physicochemical Processes and Biotoxicity” (B. Xing, C. Vecitis, N. Senesi, eds.)
– Volume 5, 2022, “Multi-scale Biogeochemical Processes in Soil Ecosystems: Critical Reactions and Resilience to Climate Changes” (Y. Yang, M. Kuiluweit, N. Senesi, B. Xing, eds.)
In the last years, he has continued to offer his experience to Division VI as Chair and Member of the Division Nominating Committee.
< Emeritus Fellow info page
< Nicola Senesi ID