- – To collect information on aspects of metrology, quality control & quality assurance, quality systems & quality management, as well as conformity assessment in current practice of analytical chemistry laboratories.
- – To initiate and coordinate projects in metrology and quality according to the needs of the analytical chemical and metrological communities, and to encourage activities in these areas from across the Divisions and Standing Committees.
- – To participate in harmonization of metrological and quality guidelines to analytical chemistry laboratories set out by international and regional organizations (BIPM, ISO, WHO, FAO, IAEA, AOAC International, ILAC, CITAC, EUROLAB, EURACHEM, etc.).
- – To recommend to the President of Div V representatives to the Joint Committee for Guides in Metrology (JCGM) and its working groups: JCGM WG1 on the Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement (GUM), and JCGM WG2 on the International Vocabulary of Metrology (VIM).
- – To liaise between IUPAC and ISO Committee for Reference Materials (ISO/REMCO) concerning availability, needs, and use of reference materials, as well as between IUPAC and ISO Technical Committee for Measurement Methods and Results (ISO TC 69/SC6).
Composition and Terms of Office
The Subcommittee on Metrology in Chemistry is a part of the IUPAC Analytical Chemistry Division (Div V). The Subcommittee Chair is elected by Div V Committee at the beginning of the biennium for the term of two years. It consists of members of Div V and other IUPAC Divisions interested in the field of metrology and quality, as well as invited associate members and known specialists in the field.
- 2021-017-2-500 - Harmonization of approaches to interlaboratory comparison of qualitative and related property values of a substance or material
- 2019-012-1-500 - Influence of a mass balance constraint on uncertainty of test results of a substance or material and risks in its conformity assessment
- 2015-024-2-500 - Metrology and Measurement Uncertainty Brochure
2018-004-1-500 – IUPAC/CITAC Guide for evaluation of risks of conformity assessment of a multicomponent material or object due to measurement uncertainty
2013-032-1-200 – Guidelines for the derivation of values and uncertainties from standard atomic weight intervals
Hibbert, D.B., Korte, E.-H. and Örnemark, U. (2021) Metrological and quality concepts in analytical chemistry (IUPAC Recommendations 2021) Pure Appl. Chem. 93(9):997-1048; https://doi.org/10.1515/pac-2019-0819
Kuselman, I., Pennecchi, F.R., da Silva, R.J.N.B. and Hibbert, D.B. (2021) IUPAC/CITAC Guide: Evaluation of risks of false decisions in conformity assessment of a multicomponent material or object due to measurement uncertainty (IUPAC Technical Report). Pure Appl. Chem. 93(1):113-154; https://doi.org/10.1515/pac-2019-0906
Camoes F.M., Christian G.D. and Hibbert D.B. (2018) Mass and volume in analytical chemistry (IUPAC Technical Report). Pure Appl. Chem. 90(3):563-603; https://doi.org/10.1515/pac-2017-0410
Kuselman I. and Pennecchi F. (2016) IUPAC/CITAC Guide: Classification, modelling and quantification of human errors in a chemical analytical laboratory (IUPAC Technical Report). Pure Appl. Chem. 88(5):477-515; https://doi.org/10.1515/pac-2015-1101
Hibbert D.B. (2016) Vocabulary of concepts and terms in chemometrics (IUPAC Recommendations). Pure Appl. Chem. 88(4):407-443; https://doi.org/10.1515/pac-2015-0605
Kuselman I., Pennecchi F., Burns C., Fajgelj A. and de Zorzi P. (2012) IUPAC/CITAC Guide: Investigating out-of-specification test results of chemical composition based on metrological concepts (IUPAC Technical Report). Pure Appl. Chem. 84(9):1939-1971; https://doi.org/10.1351/PAC-REP-11-10-04
Kuselman I. and Fajgelj A. (2010) IUPAC/CITAC Guide: selection and use of proficiency testing schemes for a limited number of participants – chemical analytical laboratories (IUPAC Technical Report). Pure Appl. Chem. 82(5):1099-1135; https://doi.org/10.1351/PAC-REP-09-08-15
Fajgelj, A., “Assuring Quality of Analytical Measurement Results: The IUPAC Role,” Chemistry International, Vol. 29, No. 3, May-June 2007; https://doi.org/10.1515/ci.2007.29.3.12
De Zorzi P., Barbizzi S., Belli M., Ciceri G., Fajgelj A., Moore D., Sansone U. and Van Der Perk M. (2005) Terminology in soil sampling (IUPAC Recommendations 2005). Pure Appl. Chem. 77(5):827-841; https://doi.org/10.1351/pac200577050827