The IUPAC Gold Book is the public-facing digital portal for free and easy access to IUPAC’s Compendium of Chemical Terminology (https://goldbook.iupac.org/). The aim of the Gold Book is to provide concise, but detailed information on authoritative terminology covering the range of chemistry for the broader scientific community. Terminology definitions originally drafted through Division projects, ratified by the IUPAC Interdivisional Committee on Terminology, Nomenclature and Symbols (ICTNS) and published in Pure and Applied Chemistry and other Color Books are compiled into an online database by the IUPAC Committee on Publications and Cheminformatics Data Standards (CPCDS).
Recent efforts have modernized the underlying technical system and current projects are underway to harmonize the format for presenting terms and verbal definitions with references to original definitions. The increased visibility of the Gold Book through this activity has emphasized the need for review of the content to ensure updates are incorporated appropriately and nuances of meaning across fields are accurately reflected. To support this critical work, ICTNS and CPCDS are collaborating with Divisions on a comprehensive review process. In order to ensure the status of the content and maintain a high digital standard of the online database, ICTNS and CPCDS are also establishing a Gold Book Joint Subcommittee that will serve as an editorial and management body for the Gold Book.
(SubCommittee established in July 2021)
Progress on the update process and a brief report from the Joint Subcommittee will be presented at the “Gold Book” session during the 2021 General Assembly (August 11, 2-4pm EDT), that will also include a panel of digital applications for chemical terminology and open discussion on future directions for the digital Gold Book.
- 2022-014-1-600 - Gold Book Update of Terms for Chemistry and the Environment
- 2022-005-1-800 - Use of Chemical Nomenclature and Nomenclature-related Terms in Gold Book
- 2021-020-1-300 - Gold Book Update of Terms for Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry
- 2021-018-1-500 - Gold Book Update of Terms for Analytical Chemistry
- 2021-019-1-100 - Gold Book update of terms from the Glossary of Terms Related to Physical and Bio-Physical Chemistry
- 2021-011-1-500 - Gold Book update of terms from the Glossary of Terms Related to Solubility
- 2021-004-2-700 - Gold Book Update of Terms for Chemistry and Human Health
- 2020-022-1-200 - Gold Book Update of Terms for Inorganic Chemistry
- 2019-043-2-400 - Gold Book Update for Polymers
- 2019-032-1-024 - Development of an IUPAC Recommended Term Management System for Expansion of the Coverage of the IUPAC Compendium on Chemical Terminology