Scientists from around the world are invited to participate in GWB2021 – the 2021 IUPAC Global Women’s Breakfast.
This global event will be held on a single day, 9 February 2021.
The theme of GWB2021 is “Empowering Diversity in Science”.
Registration is now open at https://iupac.org/gwb/2021/.
Instructions on how to register your event are provided in this short video.
Successful GWB events held in 2019 and 2020 have demonstrated the need to build a network of both women and men working together to address the barriers and inequalities faced by women in science. IUPAC is in a unique position to serve as a leading organization and global platform where these difficult and persistent issues can be addressed in a transparent manner. GWB2021 will be held two days prior to the United Nations Day of Women and Girls in Science. Goal 5 of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals is: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls. As quoted in the recent Gender Gap in Science study, and stated by the UN,
“Gender Equality is not only a fundamental human right, but a necessary foundation for a peaceful, prosperous and sustainable world.”
Women and men from all types of educational and scientific organizations from high schools to universities, to scientific societies, government and industry organizations are welcome to organize breakfast events either virtually or in person (per local COVID-19 safety guidelines). Breakfast events can be small or large, formal or casual, and we encourage each breakfast team to reach out and connect with another team. GWB events are designed to be a catalyst for change towards greater diversity in science. Event organizers and participants can strengthen their activities by connecting with other events locally and across sectors. For example, an event at a university may want to partner with another event at a nearby industry or government location.
A new GWB task group has been formed for greater coordination and communication within countries and regions. Members of this task group are:
- Prof. Dr. Ghada Bassioni, Faculty of Engineering, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt, [email protected]
- Prof. Vanderlan Bolzani, IQ-UNESP, Sao Paulo, Brazil, [email protected]
- Prof. Cristina Delerue-Matos, REQUIMTE/LAQV, Instituto Superior de Engenharia do Porto, Portugal, [email protected]
- Dr. Fun Man Fung, National University of Singapore, Singapore, [email protected]
- Dr. Lee Hooi Ling, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia, [email protected]
- Fatima Mustafa, Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY, USA, [email protected] or [email protected]
- Prof. Mei-Hung Chiu, National Taiwan Normal University, China-Taipei, [email protected]
- Dr. Lori Ferrins, Northeastern University, Boston University, USA, [email protected]
- Prof. Hemda Garelick, Middlesex University, United Kingdom, [email protected]
- Dr. Sandra Gonzalez Gallardo, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany, [email protected], [email protected]
- Prof. Carla E. Giacomelli, Universidad Nacional de Córdoba – CONICET, Córdoba, Argentina, [email protected]
- Dr. Rachel Hevey, Universität Basel, Basel, Switzerland, [email protected]
- Dr. Cynthia Ibeto, University of Nigeria Nsukka, Enugu, Nigeria, [email protected]
- Prof. Francesca Kerton, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada, [email protected]
- Dr. Mary Kirchhoff, American Chemical Society, Washington, DC, USA, [email protected]
- Prof. Ekaterina Lokteva, National Committee of Russian Chemists, Moscow, Russia, [email protected]
- Dr. Bailey Mourant, Burdock Group, Orlando, Florida, USA [email protected]
- Dr. Sadhna Mathura, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa, [email protected]
- Prof. Lars R. Öhrström, Chalmers University of Technology, Göteborg, Sweden, [email protected]
- Dr. Carolyn Ribes, Dow Benelux B.V., Terneuzen, Netherlands, [email protected]
- Dr. Bipul Behari Saha, NACL Industries Limited, Hyderabad, India, [email protected]
- Prof. Dr. Fani Sakellariadou, University of Piraeus, Greece, [email protected]
- Dr. Hina Siddiqui, Associate Professor, University of Karachi, Karachi, Pakistan, [email protected]
- Prof. Dr. Supawan Tantayanon, Chulalongkorn University, Thailand, [email protected]