The Division has an Advisory Subcommittee of about 40 people, charged with advising the Division Committee on the needs of the community, and developing project proposals.
(See the following article on the birth of the Division: McNaught, A., “Chemical Nomenclature and Structure Representation,” Chemistry International, Vol. 24, No. 2, March 2002, PDF).
The Division is responsible for maintaining and developing standard systems for designating chemical structures, including both conventional nomenclature and computer-based systems. This responsibility is to be fulfilled by:
- Identifying the needs of the user community.
- Generating projects arising from those needs.
- Identifying project leaders and task groups to carry out the work.
- Administering approved projects financially, monitoring their progress, and approving resulting recommendations for review by established IUPAC procedures.
- Identifying new sources of expertise and enabling their involvement in projects.
- As far as possible, ensuring that nomenclature systems projects and the resulting recommendations are compatible with each other, with established IUPAC recommendations, and with computer-based systems for manipulating chemical names and structures.
Subcommittees and Commissions
- Sao Paulo, Brazil, 8-9 July 2017 (Full text – pdf 522KB)
- Cambridge, UK, 4-5 August 2016 (Full text – pdf 326KB)
- Busan, Korea, 8-9 August 2015 (Full text – pdf 626KB)
- Bangor, UK, 3-4 August 2014 (Full text – pdf 528KB)
- Istanbul, Turkey, 9-10 Aug 2013 (Full text – pdf 448KB)
- Lisbon, Portugal, 2-3 July 2012 (Full text – pdf 251KB)
- San Juan, Puerto Rico, 28-29 July 2011 (Full text – pdf 325KB)
- Lund, Sweden, 12-13 Aug 2010 (Full text – pdf 264KB)
- Report 2018 (prepared for Bureau in Bratislava) by Prof. Alan Hutton (pdf 331 KB)
- Report 2016 (prepared for Bureau in Montreal) by Dr. Karl-Heinz Hellwich (pdf 101 KB)
- Report 2014-2015 (prepared for Council in Busan) by Dr. Karl-Heinz Hellwich (pdf 91 KB)
- Roundups from Glasgow ( See the following article: Sydnes, L. K., “IUPAC in Glasgow: Division Roundups Part III,” Chemistry International, Vol. 32, No. 2, March-April 2010 – PDF).